M. David Sills, D.Miss., Ph.D.
President & Founder, Reaching & Teaching International Ministries
- A.P. and Faye Stone Professor of Christian Missions and Cultural Anthropology, SBTS
- Director of Global Strategic Initiatives, SBTS
- B.A., Belhaven College
- M.Div., New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary
- D.Miss., Reformed Theological Seminary
- Ph.D., Reformed Theological Seminary
Dr. David Sills is the founder and president of Reaching & Teaching International Ministries as well as a missions professor at The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary. David joined the faculty of SBTS after serving as a missionary in Ecuador. While with the International Mission Board, he served as a church planter and general evangelist among the Highland Quichua people in the Andes and as a seminary professor at the Ecuadorian Baptist Theological Seminary. He also served as Rector and professor of the Baptist seminary as a missionary with Global Outreach International. In addition to leadership training and seminary ministry that has taken him throughout Latin America and around the world, David has started and pastored churches in both the United States and Ecuador.
David has written several books and articles. His English language books include Hearts, Heads, and Hands: A Manual for Training Others to Train Others, The Missionary Call: Find Your Place in God’s Plan for the World, Reaching and Teaching: A Call to Great Commission Obedience, and Reaching and Teaching the Highland Quichuas. The Missionary Call has been translated into Spanish, Korean, and Indonesian, and he has also written two books in Spanish, Capacitación Pastoral en la Cultura Quichua and Quichuas de la Sierra: Descubriendo un Modelo de Adiestramiento Pastoral Culturalmente Apropriado. In addition, he has also coauthored or served as a contributor on several books including Introduction to Global Missions and Introducción a la Misiología.
His unique combination of hands on field experience, missions leadership, academic contribution, and publishing gives David a unique perspective to bring to speaking engagements and conferences around the world. As such, he is a frequent conference speaker for national and international missions and ministry conferences. He has previously spoken for the Desiring God National Conference, Urbana Missions Conference, To Every Tribe, Master’s College, and the Cross Conference, among many others.
David and his wife, Mary have been married for over forty years and have two married children and six grandchildren. David and Mary’s children are all graduates of The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary.
- The Center for Pioneer Church Planting is a missionary training program that combines intensive in-class preparation and study with ‘hands-on’ training.
- The Gospel Coalition International Outreach exists to provide theological famine relief for the global church.
- IMB is the largest missions agency in the world and serves as the missions agency for The Southern Baptist Convention.
- Training Leaders International sends graduate students and pastors to bring theological education to the places it is needed around the world.
- The Desiring God National Conference is an annual conference by Desiring God Ministries for the purpose of bringing glory to God through the study of selected topics.
- The Cross Conference aims to mobilize students for the most dangerous and loving cause in the universe: rescuing people from eternal suffering and bringing them into the everlasting joy of friendship with Jesus.
- The Urbana Missions Conference has deep roots and is a part of missions history as one of the most effective student mobilizers of our time.
Dr. David Sills speaks at international and national conferences, churches, and other events many times a year. The following list is a very small sample of some of the events at which Dr. Sills has spoken.
Dr. Sills has a unique combination of hands on field experience, missions leadership, academic contribution, and publishing gives David a unique perspective to bring to speaking engagements and conferences around the world. As such, he is a frequent conference speaker for national and international missions and ministry conferences. His previous engagements include such events as The Desiring God National Conference, Urbana Missions Conference, To Every Tribe, Master’s College, and the Cross Conference.